Frequently Asked Questions

About the program

When does the master program start and how long does it take?

We offer two intakes per year.


  • July 15 for winter term, i.e. start of studies in September in Cairo or Monastir
  • January 15 for summer term, i.e. start of studies in March in Kassel

The program starts each year in September in Cairo and Monastir and in March in Kassel and lasts for a period of 24 months (four semesters including the master thesis).

How much does the program cost?

To enroll to the REMENA Master program the student has to pay 10,000 Euro tuition fees which can be paid in installments of 2,500 Euro per semester. Additional service fees: around 340 Euro per semester in Kassel and around 150 - 200 Euro per year in Cairo or Monastir.

Will I have time to work next to the program?

No. The REMENA master program is a demanding full-time study program. You will  not have any time left to work during the program.

What kind of degree will I receive?

You will receive a double degree, not a joint degree, which means you receive two different graduation certificates. You will obtain a Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree from University of Kassel and a Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree from Cairo University OR University of Monastir.

How does the timetable at University look like?

Your daily timetable starts around 8:30 a.m. and finishes around 6:30 p.m.
There are no lectures on Saturdays and Sundays in Kassel and Monastir, whereas in Cairo there are no lectures on Fridays and Saturdays.


Graduates of which degrees can apply for the program?
  1. have successfully completed a German seven-semester bachelor's program in mathematics, computer science, natural sciences or engineering or to hold an equivalent degree with a minimal average mark of "good" (2.5, German grading system) or a corresponding international degree, or
  2. have successfully completed a German seven-semester bachelor's program in law, business sciences/economics or social sciences with a minimal average mark of "good" (2.5, German grading system) and has successfully passed modules of at least 10 credits in the field of mathematics, natural or engineering sciences or to hold an equivalent international degree, or
  3. have verifiably completed a six-semester bachelor or an equivalent diploma degree or degree being equivalent to 1. and 2. and to pass additional module examinations to be stipulated by the board of examiners of at least 30 credits by the time of announcement of the topics of the master thesis.
What nationalities can apply for the REMENA master program?


Is there a deadline for the application?
Will work experience that I have had before or during my university studies (e.g. apprenticeship, professional training, internship etc.) be recognized for the required work experience?

We can neither make any general statements nor give any guarantees regarding this question. Please note that you should apply to find out. The registration office of the University of Kassel and the admission board will check your work experience details and will decide if with such initial work experience you are eligible or not. This depends highly on the quality and duration of your work experience and on the relatedness of this work experience to the renewable energy sector.

What is the minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) to be fulfilled when applying for the REMENA Master program?

REMENA applicants need to fulfill a GPA of 2.5 according to the so-called "Bavarian Fomula" as an entrance requirement to be admitted into the program. Find a convenient conversion fomular here.

Can I send my application documents via E-Mail?

No. Applications sent by e-mail will not be considered. It is necessary that you apply via uni-assist, a common platform for applying to German Universities, as described here. Guidelines for the application via uni-assist are given here.

Where do I need to send the hardcopy version of my application?

Once you receive admission and enroll yourself, you will need to send hardcopies of your certified documents to:

Universität Kassel
Mönchebergstr. 19
34109 Kassel

What is a certified copy?

A certified copy is a photocopy of a filed document, legal or other, in its entirety (everything within a staple) that is sworn to be a true copy by a court clerk or solicitor. If the staple is removed then the copy loses its certified status.

What does the University of Kassel do with my certified or original application documents?

The University of Kassel expects all application documents to be send as certified copies. Do NOT send originals.The University of Kassel scans all documents and stores them electronically. If you have to send originals make sure to contact the University of Kassel to return them to you (individual request needed). Otherwise your documents will be destroyed after two years.

Are there any scholarships I can apply for?

The most important contact for scholarships is the German Acadamic Exchange Service (DAAD). You may find scholarship opportunities on the DAAD website.

Possible scholarships will be announced at the Scholarships section.

At what time will I be informed whether I have been selected or not?

You will be informed automatically with a letter from the University’s central registration office (Studienservice). It will be sent to the address you mention on your application form, so please make sure to state the right address. In case you will be awarded a grant from the DAAD, the DAAD will contact you automatically via e-mail. Therefore we kindly ask you not to ask for information about your status during the application process.

What possibilities do I have to prove my English language skills?

Evidence of very good knowledge of the English language to the level of B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages CEFR must be presented. This evidence is granted for applicants, if English is the mothertongue, or previous studies were completely conducted in English.

Cairo University Graduate Studies Bylaws, Faculty of Engineering, 2018, clause (25) section (d) require proof of English proficiency TOEFL with minimal score 500 or equivalent IELTS score before registering Master thesis.

Can I apply if my bachelor degree mark is a "fair"?

Typically, a "fair" grade on an international level is worse a grade than a "good" grade according to the German grading system. Since a "good" average mark in the bachelor degree is mandatory for a successful application, usually the corresponding application will fail. However, there are many exceptions from the rule due to the inconsistent grading systems and requirements on an international level. Thus, application makes sense potentially in spite of a "fair" average mark in the bachelor studies.

Is there a required form for the written references?

No. Yet, they should include the name of the institution and the name of your referee plus his/her signature and/or a stamp of the institution or company. Of course, your full name and date of birth must be mentioned on the paper, too. Please note that the reference must also include the duration of your work experience (dd-mm-yyyy or mm/yyyy).

Will a German FH-Diplom be accepted?

In general yes. But this is still to be checked by the registration office of the University of Kassel.

Do I need to have German language skills?

No, though it is of course of advantage if you have. You will attend a German language course during your studies.

Do I need to have Arab language skills?

No, though it is of course of advantage if you have. You will attend an Arab language course during your studies.

Which documents do I need to submit to the University of Kassel as certified copies?
  • certified copies of awarded academic degrees 
  • certified copies of academic transcripts 
  • certified copies of school leaving certificate 
  • certified copies of job reference or attestation of employment related to renewable energies in English
  • proof of English proficiency: TOEFL or IELTS or proof of undergraduate studies conducted in English
  • hand-signed letter of motivation
  • 2 letters of recommendation (academic letter of recommendation*/professional letter/s of recommendation)
  • hand-signed CV (please use the europass specimen form at


The proof of your English language skills does not need to be a certified copy.
For admission to the Master program you do not need to have your certificates translated if they are in English or German language, but you will need official translations for enrollment at Cairo University.

All application documents must be submitted to the University of Kassel till the end of the deadline, at the latest.

Please note: without certified copies you cannot be admitted! No exceptions are possible! Do not send originals, we will not send them back!

Can I send the certified copies after being admitted?

No. We need certified copies for admission.

Can you send my certified copies back to me because they are so expensive?

Neither the University of Kassel nor uni-assist will send copies or originals back to you.

Who do I contact if I have more questions?

Please contact the REMENA team for questions that are not answered on this website via e-mail: Other program representatives can be found here.


How can I find an accommodation for the stay in Kassel?

The easiest way to find an accommodation in Kassel is to contact the Student Union (Studentenwerk) and to apply for one of their rooms or apartments. This has to be done as soon as possible because you will be put on a waiting list. The Student Union also assists you in finding an accommodation on the private market. Check the website of the Student Union for first overview.

You can also search for a room on the private market by yourself. There are some search-engines for student rooms like for example or In Germany it is very common to share an apartment with other students to live more convenient. Usually apartments and rooms are not furnished. That’s why you should look for a room that you can rent from an existing tenant (called “Untermiete” or “Zwischenmiete”).

What about the living costs in Kassel?

With about 850 Euro a month you can live comfortably in Kassel and still have money to go to the bar or the movies. In Kassel prices differ a lot depending on the shop or the location you chose. 

Therefore, these are average prices: 

Rent for a room 300-450€ 

A liter of milk 0,70€ 

Bread 2€

Beer in a pub 3€ 

Pizza in a pizzeria 8€ 

Shampoo 2€ 

Go to the movies 10€ 

Go swimming 3€ 

Haircut 20€

More tips on money and how to save it in Kassel, click here.

How do I get to Kassel University/Youth Hostel?

Germany has numerous airports; the three closest to Kassel are Frankfurt International Airport, Hannover and Paderborn. In case you fly to a different airport than those mentioned above or you are unsure how to get from the airport to Kassel, check the Deutsche Bahn (German Railway) homepage: or the homepage of the airport.

Remember, from the airport take a train in the direction of Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe.

Also, be sure to exchange some money at the airport. You will need cash to buy any bus or tram tickets. 

Arrival at Frankfurt International Airport
Most overseas flights land in Frankfurt/Main. If you fly to Frankfurt/Main International Airport, it is best to take the ICE (Intercity Express train) from the airport directly to Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe. Every 2 hours, an ICE leaves from the airport for Kassel. The ride lasts about 1:40 hours and costs 54 Euro. If you book very early via Internet you might get it cheaper but the ticket is not refundable. Cheaper trains are available as well. (For example with S and RE it costs 32,60€, but it takes 2:40 hours and you need to switch from the S into the RE at Frankfurt/Main main station). You can look this up at There are also tickets for groups that make it possible to travel very cheap. One of these cheap tickets is called "Hessenticket", it is valid from 9 am for a whole day and for up to five persons (in regional trains only).

The train platform is located in the basement level of the airport. Just follow the Deutsche Bahn (DB) signs! Should you get lost in the airport, don't panic. This happens to almost everyone in Frankfurt airport. If you can't figure out where you are and where you need to go, just ask at the Info-points.

Arrival at Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe
Once you arrive at Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe, exit the train station through the main entrance. In front of you, you will see taxis as well as busses and trams. If you have a lot of luggage and want to get to your destination as quickly as possible, you can take a taxi. These can be quite expensive though (Kassel city center around 10-15€). 
Therefore it is advisable to take the tram. Depending on where you want to go, you can take Tram 1,3,4,7 in direction of the City center. If you want to go to the Youth Hostel in Schenkendorfstr. 18 take Tram 4 and get off at “Querallee”. Walk in the Querallee up the hill and follow the street until you see the Hostel on your right hand side next to a small green area. The tram costs € 2.50 and tickets can either be purchased on the tram or from the machine at the stop. You can also have a look on google maps.

How do I get to Cairo University?

Please contact the team in Cairo for more information.

How do I get to the University of Monastir?

Please contact the team in Monastir for more information.

Paying the contribution for broadcast services

Find detailed information here.

Information on the Right of Residence

Find information regarding the german law on the right of residence here.


How to register for REMENA exams at the University of Kassel?

Find more information in our guide.

About writing your Master thesis. A short guideline.
What are the legalization and validation procedures after graduation?