Frequently Asked Questions


Is there an application deadline?

Yes. Check this year´s application deadline here.

What are the administration requirements?

All administration requirements are listed here.

Can I apply for a single module?

Yes, of course, but not all modules are suitable for a single study. Please name us which module you want to study and send the following documents to

  • certificates and transcript(s) of records of your previous higher education (e.g. bachelor´s degree)
  • Curriculum Vitae
What possibilities do I have to prove my English skills?

You can prove your English language knowledge by one of the documents mentioned at the university's info-website. If you are a native speaker, please submit a letter explaining that (native country, education etc.).

Can I send my application documents via e-mail?

Anyone who obtained a first degree (bachelor's degree or equivalent) at a university outside of Germany and is neither enrolled at the University of Kassel nor at any other German university, has to provide an application via uni-assist.

You can find a detailed description about the application process via uni-assist here.

Anyone who has obtained a first degree (bachelor's degree or equivalent) at a German university has to provide an application via UNIKIMS. To complete your application, you have to submit your documents via post within the application deadline.

You can find a detailed description about the application process via UNIKIMS here.

At what time will I be informed whether I have been admitted or not?

As a student with a degree earned outside of Germany, you will be informed by uni-assist if your application documents are complete. In case of incomplete documents, you have to deliver the missing documents to uni-assist.

A few weeks after you have submitted all documents, you will receive information about whether you have been selected or not.

What is a certified/authenticated copy?

UNIKIMS and uni-assist only accept authenticated copies of the original documents. Please do not submit original documents! It is not possible to send your documents back.

Official authentications must always bear the original seal and signature of the authenticator. The official seal can be round or oval and contains an emblem. Authentications that have a stamp containing only words will not be accepted.

If the copy consists of several individual pages, it must be shown that each page belongs to the same document. It is sufficient if just one page bears the original seal and signature, as long as all pages overlap one another and are stapled and authenticated in such a way that each page bears a part of the original seal.

As regards notary authentications (with string and a seal mark), the original seal only needs to appear on one of the pages of the copy.

The following institutions are authorized to authenticate your documents:

  • the schools or universities that issued your documents or the relevant Department of Education in your home country
  • the Diplomatic Missions to the Federal Republic of Germany
  • the Culture Department at the Embassy of the country in which the certificate was issued
  • the public authorities and notaries authorized to carry out official authentications in the respective country

In Germany, any public authority that holds an official seal, can carry our official authentications. These are, for example, Gemeindeverwaltungen, Landkreise and lower administrative authorities (such as an Ortsbürgermeister or Ortsvorsteher, Stadtverwaltung, Bürgeramt, Rathaus, Kreisverwaltung). Courts and notaries are also included.

Can I upload my certified copies in after being admitted?

No, you have to upload the certified copies during the application process to get admitted!

Will work experience that I gained before or during my studies be recognized?

In total one year of work experience in a technical field should be provable. Work experience such as an internship is also acceptable. In special cases, the examination board can decide that work experience of less than one year or that you gained before you had finished your first degree of higher education is acceptable as well.

Cost & Payment

Do I have to pay the full tuition fees at the start of my studies?

No. You have the possibility to pay the tuition fees in installments of 2,000 Euros per semester. If you study for longer than 7 semesters, you will not have to pay any tuition fees anymore. Only the semester fee of ca. 140 Euros per semester need to be paid furthermore.

Do I have to pay an application fee?

Yes. Uni-assist charges an application fee of 75€. Uni-assist hast specialized on checking the authenticity of international degrees and certifications.

Please be aware that your bank might charge transfer fees as well.

Applicants via UNIKIMS (with German degree) do not have to pay an application fee, as the UNIKIMS is the institution managing the study program.

Are there any means of support or scholarships?

At the moment there is no financial support or scholarship provided by our study program.

What payment methods do you offer?

As a program settled at a university, we can only offer bank transfers.

Recognition of Academic Performances

I finished some of the required courses during my bachelor. Will they be credited for the master?

Only master courses can be credited for the master program Wind Energy Systems.

Study Organization

How do create my schedule?

The prescribed period of study of the part-time Online M.Sc. Wind Energy Systems is 7 semesters (3.5 years). But you can choose to study a longer or shorter period.

Is it possible to work a full-time job while studying?

Yes! has been specifically created for people working a full-time job. As all modules are taught 100% online and all lecturers are recorded, you can study anywhere and anytime.

Further, you choose less modules per semester, than a full-time student. Thereby, you can decide yourself how many modules you want to study or even take a break, if you need to.

When do the winter and summer semesters start and end?

Our winter-semester runs from 1 October until  31 March.

Our summer-semester runs from 1 April until 31 September.

The lectures of the winter semester usually start in the middle of October and end with exams in February/March. The lectures in the summer semester start in the middle of April and end with exams in July until August. Homework assignment deadlines can reach into September.

How long does it take to finish the master program?

The prescribed period of study is 7 semesters (3.5 years). Of course, you can choose to study for a longer or shorter time period.

Can I study from a non-European country?

Yes, of course. You can study from anywhere in the world.

Online Learning

What is a virtual classroom?

We teach all online modules with the web conference tool Adobe Connect. For every module, we created an own virtual classroom in which the lecturer gives their lectures. This procedure is very interactive and similar to an on-campus classroom. All students can talk to their lecturer and classmates via microphone and via chat. Online teaching offers the advantage that all sessions can be recorded. This enables our students to study anywhere at any time.

Do I need any other technical devices besides a computer with internet access?

You will need a webcam for taking part in oral exams and holding presentations.

It is advised to use a headset as well.

Where can I receive help with technical related questions?

For technical support please feel free to contact us or the IT service (


What degree will I receive in the end of my studies?

The qualification achieved is a Master of Science (M.Sc.). You will be qualified to do a PhD anywhere in the world or work in the wind industry.

Will the credit points received be valid outside of Germany?

The Online M.Sc. Wind Energy Systems is an internationally oriented master program taught in English language. Therefore, the credit points will be valid outside of Germany.

Does the University of Kassel offer a PhD program?

Yes. After you have finished you master, you can apply for a PhD at the University of Kassel (or anywhere else in the world).